CITROËN REVEALS THE ALL-NEW Ë-C3: THE FIRST EUROPEAN AFFORDABLE ELECTRIC CAR
Stellantis Press Release 17th October 2023
- EST-IN-CLASS COMFORT: All-new Citroën ë-C3 features latest-generation Advanced Comfort® Seats and acclaimed Citroën Advanced Comfort® Suspension – the first time in the B-segment. Citroën ë-C3 comfort enhanced further thanks to zero engine noise and vibration, for a stress-free ride.
- EASY ELECTRIC LIFE: 44kWh battery pack provides up to 199 miles (320km) of WLTP range, with 100kW DC rapid charging providing 20% to 80% of capacity in as little as 26 minutes.
- FULLY EQUIPPED: New ë-C3 surprises and delights with a comprehensive portfolio of equipment, as well as smart solutions including all-new C-ZEN LOUNGE, an innovative approach reinventing the dashboard.
- VALUE FOR MONEY: 199-mile ë-C3 fully aligned with Citroën’s ‘Fair Pricing’ strategy – starting at less than £23,000 in the UK – as the brand ramps up its mission to make all-electric mobility accessible to all. Citroën promises an even more affordable 200km range ë-C3 by 2025, starting from 19,990 Euros (to be confirmed for the UK).
- STYLISH BY DESIGN: Conceived from the outset around its BEV-focused Citroën ‘Smart Car’ platform, ë-C3 debuts new Citroën design language and brand signature.
Citroën challenges the rulebook for European-designed and built B-segment cars with the reveal of the characterful fourth-generation C3. The all-new, all-electric ë-C3 delivers best-in-class comfort, an easy electric experience, an outstanding level of useful equipment, and incredible value for money.
The all-electric ë-C3 proudly heads up the fourth-generation line-up of Citroën’s most popular car, which has sold more than 5.6 million vehicles since the launch of the first generation in 2002. The C3 is the brand’s most popular model, representing 29% of Citroën’s European sales volume. In 2022, C3 captured 11% overall of the European B-segment market.
Significantly, the all-new ë-C3 signals a new chapter for Citroën. The popular and daring brand is reinventing itself to meet the challenges of making all-electric mobility accessible to all. New ë-C3 is the first European-designed and European-built all-electric B-hatchback created for customers wanting the benefit of zero-emission mobility at a fair and affordable price.
Citroën Global CEO, Thierry Koskas, explains: “Offering affordable vehicles has always been a major part of Citroën’s DNA. However, customer expectations for vehicles in the B-segment have changed, notably with the rise in popularity of SUVs and the increasing desire to drive electric in and around our cities, and it has become more challenging for European vehicle makers to meet those expectations. Uniquely, Citroën is daring to do exactly that with the all-new, all-electric ë-C3 for European buyers: a fresh, sharp, and comfortable B-hatch that is fully-equipped, specifically designed for and made in Europe, and extremely affordable with on-the-road prices starting from under £23,000 in the UK.”
1 – BEST-IN-CLASS COMFORT
- All-new Citroën ë-C3 delivers a ‘magic carpet ride’ feeling by pairing – for the first time in the B-segment – Citroën Advanced Comfort® Suspension with latest-generation Citroën Advanced Comfort® seats.
- Taller and more space-efficient, but within a similar footprint to the previous generation C3, the all-new ë-C3 offers no-compromise in terms of comfort: a higher driving position (+100mm vs. B-hatch average) to make access easier, higher ground clearance, plus exterior protective elements to reflect customer tastes.
ALL-NEW Ë-C3 ADDS PROGRESSIVE HYDRAULIC CUSHIONS®
For the first time in the history of the C3 hatchback, Citroën has specified its innovative and exclusive Citroën Advanced Comfort® Suspension as standard equipment on all versions of the all-new, all-electric ë-C3.
Invisible to the driver and all occupants, Progressive Hydraulic Cushions® ensure everyone on-board enjoys a unique ‘magic carpet ride’ feeling of comfort on the road, thanks to the use of progressive hydraulic bump stops. The use of hydraulic stops allows the engineering team greater freedom to tune the all-new ë-C3’s suspension to give the impression that the car is gliding when driving over uneven ground. Two hydraulic bump stops are used on each corner of the vehicle in conjunction with the shock absorbers and springs – one bump stop for compression and the other for decompression (rebound).
This widely acclaimed suspension system works in two stages. For lighter compression and decompression, the compliant springs and shock absorbers control vertical movements together, with no assistance required from the hydraulic stops. For major impacts, the springs and shock absorbers work together with the hydraulic stops to slow the movement gradually, and iron out jolts at the end of the range. Unlike a mechanical stop, which absorbs energy and then returns part of it as a shock, the hydraulic stop absorbs and dissipates the energy.
Laurence Hansen, Citroën Product and Strategy Director, said: “Comfort is a key part of Citroën’s DNA. It’s very important to us because it’s very important to our customers. That’s why we have gone to extraordinary lengths to make the all-new ë-C3 the most comfortable car in the B-hatch segment with Citroën innovations like new versions of our Citroën Advanced Comfort® Seats and – for the first time on C3 – our Citroën Advanced Comfort® Suspension.”
HOMELIKE INTERIOR FOR CLASS-LEADING COMFORT
The spacious interior has been crafted around simple and refined surfaces, to provide occupants with an ambience similar to that of their home living room or lounge. All-new ë-C3’s Citroën Advanced Comfort® Seats are specifically tailored for the car, and use additional foam to provide a welcoming and soft feel from first contact. The seats remain supple and supportive whatever the length of the journey.
The comfortable feeling continues thanks to the all-new vehicle design, which at 1.57m high, provides front seat occupants with 30mm more headroom than before, for a higher, more commanding driving position with an enhanced feeling of control and safety. Everyone on-board benefits from greater outward visibility, helping to boost the feeling of well-being and serenity. In fact, the all-new ë-C3 is roomier inside in almost every dimension than its predecessor, despite being only 19mm longer and 6mm wider. Rear passenger elbowroom is superior by 19mm, and by 21mm in the front, compared to the market average, while rear seat knee clearance is best-in-class, at least 20mm greater than the average.
Carrying items and luggage is easy in the all-new ë-C3. Its taller interior is filled with useful and smart stowage areas – on the door panels, the centre console, and under the central armrest – while a wireless charging mat is available for the centre console (standard on ‘MAX’ versions). Comfortable 60-40 rear seat modularity (standard on ‘PLUS’ and ‘MAX’ versions), and width between rear wheel arches of 1015mm ensures that owners can transport larger objects whenever they need to. The generous 310-litres of luggage volume behind the rear seats should be ample for most shopping trips.
At 1.57m high (excluding roof bars), the all-new ë-C3 is taller than its predecessor, and benefits from SUV-style ground clearance to make access easier and to provide a more assured ride over the speed bumps, kerbs, and potholes, which are often encountered in urban and suburban driving. Ground clearance is an impressive 163mm for the all-electric ë-C3 compared to a ground clearance of 135mm in the previous C3 model.
2 – EASY ELECTRIC LIFE
- 83kW/113hp electric motor delivers more than enough power and torque for both daily commutes and longer journeys, while the 44kWh battery pack provides up to 199 miles of WLTP driving range.
- 100kW DC fast charging from 20% to 80% of capacity in as little as 26 minutes.
- Connected navigation with new ë-ROUTES app ensures journey times can be optimised, and a reliable ‘live’ charging network is always accessible.
New ë-C3 is the first vehicle from Stellantis to feature the new and cost-efficient BEV-focused ‘Smart Car’ platform using a 44kWh LFP (Lithium Ferro Phosphate) battery pack to deliver up to 199 miles of WLTP driving range. Plus, 100kW DC rapid charging capability allows charging from 20% to 80% in as little as 26 minutes.
Standard AC charging from 20% to 80% takes around 4h10 using 7kW power, or 2h50 if 11kW is available (using the optional 11kW on-board charger). Accessing both home and public AC charging facilities is easy using the standard supplied Mode 3 cable, which is ideal for regular charging at home using a wall box, as well as out and about at public charging stations.
With its 83kW (113hp) electric motor and fully automatic transmission accelerating the car from 0-62mph in around 11 seconds, and with a provisional top speed of 84mph (135km/h), the all-new ë-C3 delivers more than enough performance to deal with everyday driving and traffic, particularly in urban and suburban environments.
Owners will also be able to plan journeys, as well as monitor their charging status and battery level in real-time, and enjoy a complete navigation experience, thanks to the new e-ROUTES app. This app is specifically for Citroën electric vehicles as part of the brand’s ‘Connect Plus’ connected services subscription. Using the MyCitroën app, ë-C3 drivers will be able to manage charging schedules, as well as pre-heat or pre-cool the vehicle, and check its battery level and location.
Drivers of the all-new, all-electric Citroën ë-C3 who choose the ‘Connect Plus’ option, will benefit from a suite of dedicated new tools to make their ownership experience stress-free. These include:
- The Citroën e-ROUTES app has been specially developed for Citroën electric vehicles and is a driver’s passport to the most efficient route planning, easy battery level monitoring, and live charging network data. With this integrated app, drivers can be assured that journey times will be reduced, the best and most reliable ‘live’ charging network data is accessible, they will always know what percentage of battery power will remain on arrival, and re-routing will happen automatically, if necessary.
- E-Remote allows owners to use their MyCitroën app as a remote control to pre-heat or pre-cool the vehicle before departure, manage charging schedules, monitor charge status, and show vehicle location.
The car is automatically paired with e-ROUTES when the owner enters the vehicle details into their MyCitroën account.
3 – FULLY EQUIPPED
- All-new, all-electric Citroën ë-C3 surprises and delights, with a comprehensive portfolio of equipment and smart solutions that complement the ‘no-compromise’ focus on comfort.
- C-Zen Lounge – with Citroën Head-Up Display and a new compact steering wheel – represents a smart approach to reinventing the dashboard, and replacing the traditional instrument cluster. The new design provides easy access to key information without the driver having to take their eyes off the road.
- Built-in smartphone holder that allows drivers to auto-launch a dedicated new app using NFC (Near Field Communication) wireless technology for infotainment.
- Wide range of Citroën driver assistance features fitted to all versions, offering comfort, reassurance, and support.
Ensuring class-leading comfort and a serene environment for everyone on-board meant clear priorities for the design and engineering teams of the all-electric ë-C3. However, that was just the start of the story, equally important was giving this European-designed and built B-hatchback a surprisingly comprehensive array of equipment and smart solutions to suit all customer needs.
Setting new standards for interior design was a front-of-mind objective. All-new ë-C3 features C-Zen lounge, an innovative, spacious, and well-equipped interior, which – as can be expected from Citroën – reinvents the traditional dashboard and provides extremely high levels of comfort and satisfaction.
With the introduction of the C-Zen Lounge, the driver and front passenger are treated to a clean and uncluttered view forward, as if looking through a wide arch, thanks to the large windscreen and horizontal fascia that stretches across the entire vehicle, and is flanked by Citroën’s signature vertical air vents. The fascia is split into two distinct levels, with the technical elements above, and a cosy fabric-wrapped ‘Sofa Design style’ section below.
A real departure for the upper level of the fascia, is the lack of a traditional instrument cluster. All-new, all-electric ë-C3 sees the first use of a new Citroën Head-Up Display that reflects vehicle information onto a glossy black section between the top of the dash panel and the bottom of the windscreen. This smart solution ensures there is no duplication of information as there would traditionally be between a Head-Up Display and instrument cluster. Drivers can easily access all the key information they need without taking their eyes off the road.
The compact new multi-function steering wheel is smaller and easier to handle, and is reach and rake-adjustable, which helps to ensure that the Citroën Head-Up Display is unobstructed when operational.
At the centre of the fascia floats a 10.25-inch colour infotainment screen, angled slightly towards the driver (optional on ‘YOU!’ versions), while ‘My Citroen Play with Smartphone Station’ with a dedicated app is offered as standard equipment for owners of the ‘YOU!’ model to access music, radio, make calls, and navigation via their own mobile device.
The fabric-wrapped and softly curved horizontal ‘Sofa Design style’ section below is designed to add warmth and visual character to the cockpit, while amplifying the feelings of comfort and serenity.
Boris Reinmöller, Programme Director of Design at Citroën, said: “We are very proud of the spacious interior, in particular our new fascia treatment with its juxtaposition between the cleaner, technical upper section and the warmer ‘Sofa Design style’ lower section. It is rare in this segment for the upper part of the fascia to have such an uncluttered feel to the left and right sides, and we have achieved this with the introduction of our new C-Zen Lounge with Citroën Head-Up Display. Floating the central infotainment screen, or smartphone station, in the centre also meant that we didn’t have to integrate these in a bulky or ungainly way.”
Despite being a relatively compact car, the all-electric ë-C3 places huge importance on connected infotainment choices, all of which are focused on ease of use by occupants, and fast access to smart, useful features customers need to travel easily and live their connected lives seamlessly.
Instinctive steering wheel controls, plus a ‘Home’ button on all versions, ensure a stress-free experience for the driver when behind the wheel. Three levels of infotainment system are available in the UK, dependent on the trim level chosen:
- MY CITROËN PLAY WITH SMARTPHONE STATION is standard on ‘YOU!’ models and features a built-in smartphone holder that allows drivers to ‘dock’ their device and auto-launch a dedicated new app using NFC (Near Field Communication) wireless technology. Via this app, owners use their device to access shortcuts to phone, radio, navigation, and music app services. The ë-C3’s steering wheel controls ensure drivers keep their hands on the wheel, and the ‘Home’ button makes it easy to navigate back to the homepage of the app.
- MY CITROËN PLAY PLUS WITH 10-INCH TOUCHSCREEN is standard on ‘PLUS’ and optional on ‘YOU!’ models. It features a central 10.25-inch screen with access to a built-in AM/FM/DAB radio tuner, and offers smartphone mirroring, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, for easy access to navigation, apps, and media services.
- MY CITROËN DRIVE WITH 10-INCH TOUCHSCREEN is standard on ‘MAX’ and optional on ‘PLUS’ versions. The central, ergonomically designed 10.25-inch colour screen uses smartphone-inspired widget architecture to provide access through virtual shortcuts to key navigation, phone, radio, apps, and media functions. Wireless capability allows smartphone mirroring, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Customers can sign up for one or both levels of Connected Services subscriptions to make the most of their system via their MyCitroën account while using the internet or the MyCitroën app.
‘Connect One’ is free and features immediate access to ‘e-Call’ and ‘Citroën Assistance’ tele-maintenance services, and access to a digital owner handbook.
For a modest monthly fee, following a free one-year trial, ‘Connect Plus’ adds real-time traffic information to ensure drivers can choose the optimal route for each journey, as alternatives are calculated and suggested based on anticipated traffic flows, and ongoing traffic jams or congestion. The system also presents city information in full 3-D (free for three years).
All three versions of the new ë-C3 and their respective infotainment systems (My Citroen Play with Smartphone Station, My Citroën Play Plus with 10-inch touchscreen, and My Citroën Drive with 10-inch touchscreen) are compatible with the Citroën e-ROUTES app.
DRIVER ASSISTANCE FEATURES THAT CARE
The all-new ë-C3’s comprehensive collection of the latest Citroën driver assistance technologies is engineered to care for the minds and bodies of every occupant, particularly the driver, and include:
- Active Safety Brake is an emergency braking system operating above three miles per hour, to help reduce injuries to vehicle occupants as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
- Active Lane Departure Warning System helps the driver to maintain correct positioning between road lane markings by either gently correcting the steering as the car drifts out of its lane, or by alerting the driver to drifting at lower speeds. It operates above 37mph and is disabled when turn signals are in use.
- Driver Attention Alert informs the driver if the trajectory of the vehicle is inappropriate within its lane. This two-step alert first detects vehicle swaying and alerts the driver with a sound and message to ‘Drive Carefully’, then sounds an additional alert and message advising ‘Dangerous Driving’ once four sways are detected. Coffee Break Alert advises the driver to take a break after two hours of continuous driving at more than 40mph, and is repeated every hour after that if no break is taken.
- Speed Limit Recognition reads speed limit signs and displays these on the Citroën Head-Up Display to inform the driver. This smart system leverages speed limit data held in the navigation system and can also read temporary speed limit signs. The Cruise Control with Speed Limiter allows the driver to restrict their maximum speed to ensure compliance.
- The Electric Parking Brake is applied automatically when the car is turned off, and releases automatically when the accelerator is pressed. The driver can operate the Electric Parking Brake manually via a control lever in the centre console. Additionally, Hill Start Assist holds the vehicle for several seconds on slopes greater than three percent to help the driver prevent unwanted movement.
- Intelligent Beam Headlights use the windscreen-mounted camera to automatically switch between dipped and main beams when oncoming vehicles are detected and pass safely.
Rear Parking Sensors audibly warn the driver of obstacles during reversing manoeuvres. A Rear Camera is activated when reverse gear is engaged to provide a view behind the vehicle and warn the driver of possible obstacles via the 10.25-inch colour screen (where fitted).
4 – BEST VALUE FOR MONEY
- 199-mile ë-C3 is fully aligned with Citroën’s ‘Fair Pricing’ strategy – starting at less than £23,000 in the UK – as the brand ramps up its mission to make all-electric mobility accessible to all.
- For consumers, simplicity of choice is ensured with a streamlined line-up of three well-equipped versions: ‘YOU!’, ‘PLUS’, and ‘MAX’.
- 200km range Citroën ë-C3 will arrive in 2025 with prices starting at 19,990 Euros (to be confirmed for the UK).
NEW PLATFORM TO DELIVER COST EFFICIENCIES
For the first time in Europe, Citroën has engineered the all-new Citroën ë-C3 around a specific platform designed from the outset to accommodate an affordable all-electric powertrain. Underpinning the car is a version of the highly flexible global Stellantis ‘Smart Car’ platform, and this has enabled Citroën to make the all-new ë-C3 accessible to customers with prices starting from under £23,000 – comparable to an average petrol-engined B-hatch vehicle.
Laurence Hansen, Citroën Product and Strategy Director, said; “Our global Smart Car platform is extremely efficient and we are already leveraging its capabilities outside Europe through new region-specific Citroën models in markets like India and South America. It was the ideal starting point for the all-new European ë-C3 line-up, and even though it was engineered with all-electric capability from the start, it is flexible enough to house ICE powertrains, as well as underpin larger and smaller vehicles, including SUVs.”
Making the purchasing experience easier for customers was a key priority. In many European markets – including the UK – the all-new Citroën ë-C3 will be offered in line with the brand’s ‘Fair Pricing’ policy, with the entry-level ‘YOU!’ version starting from under £23,000.
Nicolas Monnot, Citroën Vice President of Global Pricing & Performance: “Buying a new car can prove challenging when it comes to understanding the often huge array of versions and options customers can choose from and have to pay for. At Citroën, we want to make the whole process simpler and fairer for customers, with a ‘smart range’ approach to series levels and option packs, as well as more transparency in pricing.”
The all-new, all-electric ë-C3 will be available to UK customers in a streamlined line-up of three well-equipped versions: ‘YOU!’, ‘PLUS’, and ‘MAX’.
Lead-in ‘YOU!’ versions come with an impressive level of standard equipment, including LED headlights, Citroën Advanced Comfort® Suspension, Active Safety Brake, the new Citroën Head Up Display, ‘My Citroen Play with Smartphone Station’ for infotainment, electric door mirrors, auto lighting, rear parking radar, rear spoiler, cruise control, manual air conditioning, and six airbags.
‘PLUS’ models add 17-inch alloy wheels, Citroën’s two-tone paint with contrasting roof, decorative roof rails, front and rear skid plates, the 10.25-inch colour touchscreen with smartphone mirroring, Citroën Advanced Comfort® Seats, auto wipers, power-folding and heated door mirrors, leather-effect steering wheel, 60/40 folding second-row seat, and driver seat adjustment.
Top-of-the-range ‘MAX’ versions additionally add LED rear lights, rear privacy glass, enhanced seat textiles, automatic air conditioning, 3D navigation, wireless charging, rear camera, electrochrome rear-view mirror, and rear power windows.
All-new ë-C3 will be offered with a choice of five distinctive and high-quality paint finishes – Polar White, Montecarlo Blue, Elixir Red, Mercury Grey, and Perla Nera Black. Citroën’s signature two-tone contrasting roof feature will be offered to customers as standard equipment in black or white on ‘PLUS’ and ‘MAX’ versions, with the separation on the C-pillar neatly following a sharp form line pressed into the metal of the pillar itself.
STRENGTHEN THE BRAND IN EUROPE
All-new ë-C3 is the first all-electric B-segment car to be offered in the region by a European manufacturer at this price level that has been designed in Europe – at Citroën’s studio in the Stellantis Automotive Design Network facility in Vélizy-Villacoublay, near Paris. The car is built in Europe at the Stellantis Trnava manufacturing plant in Slovakia.
The all-new ë-C3 spearheads a family of new models that will play a major role in enhancing Citroën’s European product line-up and brand values, and further strengthen its competitive position at the heart of the market.
Thierry Koskas added: “Our mission is to build the Citroën presence in Europe to at least five percent share of the European market and the addition in 2024 of the affordable all-new, all-electric ë-C3 to our portfolio are key enablers to achieving that roadmap. All-new ë-C3 also plays a major role in further strengthening Citroën’s accessible electrification programme, complementing the arrival of our new extended range ë-C4 and ë-C4 X models, as well as the unique mobility solution that is the Citroën Ami.”
5 – STYLISH BY DESIGN WITH NEW BRAND IDENTITY
- Debuting for the first time on a production car is Citroën’s more distinctive new brand signature, with its large new oval logo featuring a new interpretation of the Citroën ‘chevrons’.
- Taller and bolder, Citroën ë-C3 proudly introduces a new Citroën design language – first previewed on the Citroën Oli concept – which verticality contrasts with horizontal, technically sculpted surfaces.
The fourth-generation Citroën ë-C3 family for Europe has been completely reinvented with a fresh, assertive look, embodying Citroën’s bold new brand signature.
First previewed 2022 on the Citroën Oli concept, the new signature proudly contrasts vertical and horizontal elements in a brave, technical fashion. At the front, the taller, more vertical face incorporates a large new oval ‘chevron’ logo proudly sitting centrally and reinforced on each side by gloss black horizontal grilles featuring an eye-catching and technical interpretation of the chevrons, inspired by architectural parametric designs.
A major element is the distinctive new design of the front and rear lights, which was first seen on the Citroën Oli concept vehicle, and which features a unique three-level lighting signature with one vertical and two horizontal lenses that look like blades.
The short, high, and horizontal bonnet features sculpted surfaces, which catch the light and contrast with the more vertical front profile, feeding into a larger, more upright windscreen, and giving the car more volume and accentuating the feeling of protection.
Visible in the side profile are front and rear technically sculpted undercut lines, which flow through the beltline into the new signature lighting clusters and subtle creases in the door panels, all of which catch the light and add visual interest.
The signature identity continues at the rear with technical sculpting in the lower part of the rear tailgate, above which sits a horizontal gloss black decorative strip featuring the same chevron-inspired technical pattern used on the vertical front face and flanking the large, centrally positioned new oval Citroën logo. New signature tail light clusters push into the vehicle corners and comprise two horizontal and one vertical lens, echoing the front clusters. Below the opening hatch, a strong bumper is squared off at the outer corners to aid aerodynamics and further heighten the assertive stance of the car.
Steel 16-inch wheels, and 17-inch steel or diamond-cut alloy wheels (the latter are standard on ‘PLUS’ and ‘MAX’ versions), are pushed out to the corners of the car, to signal stability and solidity, yet the car retains a compact footprint at just 4.01m long and 1.76m wide.
Pierre Leclercq, Citroën Design Director, said: “We believe the all-new, all-electric Citroën ë-C3 is a game changer for the B-hatchback segment as we have listened to what attributes customers most appreciate in SUVs and incorporated the best benefits of these traits in the car’s taller, more purposeful styling. So, while it has a similar footprint in terms of length and width to its predecessor, we have made it 100mm taller for a greater feeling of strength and presence on the road, with the added bonuses of higher ground clearance and a higher seating position so drivers and passengers feel more comfortable riding over potholes, kerbs, and other obstacles on today’s city streets.”