Chris Butler & David Gerrie (Greater Wellington Branch) warmly welcome you to the 2019 Post Rally Tour.
Highlights are Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves, Hot pools, Exotic and Indigenous Forests, Lake Waikaremoana, Eastwoodhill Arboretum, our Hawkes Bay branch friends and lots of fun.
Rural and back country roads will be travelled wherever possible. Where unsealed roads are traversed, alternate routes will be provided to those who prefer to travel sealed roads, rejoining your traveling companions each day.
Please make your own accommodation bookings (we have provided some options below).
We plan to stop for picnic morning and afternoon teas, so pack your picnic gear and don’t forget your togs for hot pools at Waikiti and Morere.
Chris & David will prepare an email newsletter to post rally tour attendees and we’ll contact you to confirm accomodation arrangements at Murupara & Morere. We’ve made a bulk booking at Flaxy Lodge Motel (Murupara) and Morere Hot Springs Lodge cabins and Cottage (Morere). The folks at Vista Motor Lodge @ Wairoa (Thu 11 April) advised to make bookings as early as possible as they are very popular.
The tour commences Monday 8th April with breakfast in Cambridge before setting out at 10 AM towards Hobbiton. We then swing south to Waitomo Caves to end day one with a tour through one of the main caves.
Dinner is a BBQ at the Top 10 Holiday park (we’ll pick up BBQ goodies at Otorohanga).
Accommodation options at Waitomo Caves (Mon 8th):
- Waitomo Top 10 Holiday Park: ph 0508 498 666 Preferred
- Waitomo Caves Hotel: ph 07 878 8204
- Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge: ph 07 878 7641
- Te Tiro Accomodation: ph. 027 379 2356
Tuesday 9th, we head East with a hot pools (and lunch) stop at Waikite, then heading through Kaingaroa Forest to Murupara. On the way we will meet up with the Traction Sans Frontier tour – a great opportunity to meet up with fellow enthusiasts from France.
Dinner is at the Murupara pub.
Accommodation options at Murupara (Tue 9th):
- Flaxy Lodge Motel: ph 07 366 5583 Preferred (we’ve made a bulk booking).
- Murupara Motor Camp: ph 07 366 5365
- Pheasant Tail Lodge: ph. 07 366 5906
Wednesday 10th, we travel through the picturesque Lake Waikaremoana (west to east) ending in Historic Wairoa.
A 3-course dinner awaits us at Vista Motor Lodge Restaurant, Wairoa. $40 p.p.
Accommodation options Wairoa (Wed 10th):
- Vista Motor Lodge, Wairoa: ph 0800 284 782 Preferred
- Wairoa Riverside Motor Camp: ph. 06 838 6301
- Wairoa Motel: ph. 06 838 8204
Dinner is at the Morere Tearooms.
Accommodation options Morere (Thu 11th):
- Morere Hot Springs Lodge Cabins and Cottage: ph 06 837 8824 Preferred & we’ve made a bulk booking
- Morere Camping Ground: ph. 06 837 8792
- Blackberry Hill Farm: ph. 06 837 8773
Friday 12th finds us swinging South via back roads to end the tour in the Hawke’s Bay, celebrating dinner with our Hawke’s Bay Club friends.
As there are a large number of accommodation choices in the Hawke’s Bay, we will let you do your own research or lock in your favourite spot.
Top 10 Holiday Park, Hastings Preferred